Monday, July 28, 2014

Pioneers, Baptism & Beyond

Found someone's art project. Made use of it!


Hi Family!
I think maybe I'll stop writing for a month so I can have more to update you all on!! Just kidding...but I swear I never know what to write about...so bear with me!
This week was a good week. Lot of work went down. Just trying to climb a mountain over here. Good thing I like to hike!

Speaking of hiking, Happy Pioneer Day! That was this past Thursday! My mission President made the comment that we needed to remember all our Pioneer ancestors who were helping us on the other side. There was one day this week that was so hot and of course Sister Vasquez and I planned to walk basically the whole day. Just as I was ready to throw in the towel, I remembered these Pioneers who walked 500xx more than I did and carried a 100x more than my small shoulder bag. Needless to say I was humbled. My mission president was right! They did help me continue forward and strengthen me this week. And they probably helped me even more than I know.

Pic of my sister Adele (left) being a pioneer recently!

Now what's a week without a few rejections! I know the Pioneers had more than just a few trials-namely, broken shoes, lack of food, diseases, 1,310 miles to walk, death... I consider myself lucky that I just get a few door slams and a couple of languages to learn. My favorite rejection this week was when we knocked on a door and a man opened to say, "there's no one home." Uh, Ok? Apparently he wasn't home. Sister Vasquez and I kind of just looked at each other, laughed then went on our way.

But of course a week can't go by without a few answered prayers. And I know the Pioneers had a few of these too. Another one of my investigators has set a date to be baptized! We've been teaching her ever since I came here and she asked us in our last meeting, "so when is the next baptismal service?" My response was, "Uh, as early as tomorrow"...haha. It's the best feeling when you know for sure someone you're teaching is going to make that decision! It's an even better feeling when they ask YOU what they need to do to prepare. You know, as opposed to asking people to commit and inviting them to do so. Not only does it make our job as missionaries a little easier, but it lets you know how ready these people are to making covenants with Heavenly Father. You know that they're ready to start the trek. And for all the members reading this know that being LDS really is quite the trek! It's not just a church to maybe go to every Sunday but a lifestyle to live each and every day. There's a lot to commit to when someone commits to being baptized in this church! Luckily, there's about 15,082,028 (and counting!) members all over the world who can testify of how blessed they are to have made that commitment and been baptized!



I'm so grateful for my baptism! Every time I see a baptism I think back to my own. I remember that it was a happy day with all the family gathered. It's funny, I don't ever remember being that little but the pictures of me and Erin (my cousin!) prove otherwise. Since I was 8 it's a little hard to remember all the details, but I remember feeling happy and like it was the right choice. I know now that it was definitely the right decision as I wouldn't have learned this much or come this close to the Lord without it! One of my favorite memories from my baptism is when all my cousins and siblings sang, "We'll Bring the World His Truth." Little did we know at the time that the words to that Primary song really would come true:
  1. We have been born, as Nephi of old,
    To goodly parents who love the Lord.
    We have been taught, and we understand,
    That we must do as the Lord commands.
  2. We have been saved for these latter days
    To build the kingdom in righteous ways.
    We hear the words our prophet declares:
    "Let each who's worthy go forth and share."
  3. We know his plan, and we will prepare,
    Increase our knowledge through study and prayer.
    Daily we'll learn until we are called
    To take the gospel to all the world.
  4. Chorus
    We are as the army of Helaman.
    We have been taught in our youth.
    And we will be the Lord's missionaries
    To bring the world his truth.
Thanks to our parents who taught us! And for the Prophet who has declared and called each of us to go forth and share! Shoutout to Shar, Jared, Trevor and Erin who sang that song at my baptism and have served or are serving. Erin, look at us now! And my Hawkins cousins; Chris, Ben and Josh! What a little army of Helaman we all are! Love and miss you guys!

Anyways, sorry for my unorganized thoughts! Just you know, remember the Pioneers and your baptism ;). 

Adios!
Hermana Hawkins



(special thanks to Sienna's cousin Daniel, Uncle Mark and Grandpa for providing the background music!)


just a ridiculous picture!


2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness; how I laugh and cry whenever I read Sienna's blog! I chuckled at her "favorite rejection" this week and cried during the video. So sweet. Her emails are always great, even when they are her "unorganized thoughts".

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great email this week. She is awesome. Favorite rejection... how's that for a positive attitude?

    ReplyDelete