Monday, June 16, 2014

Expect the Unexpected

My dad and his girls!


Well. Since I talked about mothers on the week of Mother's day, to be fair I guess I'll talk on Fathers...but don't let it get to your head, dad ok?
 
As father's day came and went I had time to reflect on what makes a good father. Just know that these are my own opinions and thoughts...not necessarily doctrines of the Church...though they collide some. I feel like I've gathered sufficient conclusions from the variety of families I've worked with on the mission and from my own dad. Of course I'm not going to go into ALL of what I think makes a good dad, instead I'll compile them into three qualities that I think, personally, make a good father:
 
1. Has a sense of humor
 
A sense of humor is always needed... it really goes such a long way. Maybe because of how much responsibility a father has on his shoulders is the reason why. But I think we can almost all agree too, that it is every father's job to find the dumbest jokes and phrases..or at least it seems that way. Am I right?!
 
For instance: my dad's most popular phrases are "Money doesn't grow on trees", "Life's not fair" and "kids are just non-revenue generating cost centers". Really my dad is the biggest goofball ever. But no matter how much I want to deny this, I realize that normally when he said these growing up they were used in very applicable circumstances. I can just see dad reading this now, saying "See? See?!?"
 
The worst of it is when something happens on the mission where I hear my dad saying "Life's not fair" or some other ridiculous phrase in my own head. And I discover the truth behind them! It usually leads me to think "Why? Why is he right?!" But in reality I'm grateful for the lessons he's taught me...even if they come by ridiculous means. (if only you could all read our "Chronicles of Dad", haha!)
 
2. Loves and serves selflessly.
 
Now I will be very blunt. I've seen way too many families where either father or mother is too absorbed in themselves to sufficiently provide for their children/spouses. The most respectful and admirable father gives his all to his family and the most respectful and admirable man realizes that his family is not his only responsibility. There is one particular member in our ward who just exemplifies this. It seems like every day when we visit families from the church, he has just been there helping them in any way he possibly can, and that's on top of his full-time job and five kids under the age of 12. He is an example of a faithful and charitable servant of God. As we know that "when ye are in the service of your fellow beings, ye are only in the service of your God" (mosiah 2:17).
 
The kind of father who really is charitable is the best example out there. For not only does he influence his family, but he influences the world.
 
3. Honors his Priesthood.
 
The Priesthood is the literal power and authority God gives to man to perform miracles and ordinances in His name. In Doctrine and Covenants 121:36 it says that "the rights of the Priesthood are inseperably connected with the powers of heaven and that the powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness." That being said, with the responsibility of this it is no wonder that the worthiness of these good men is so vital. Without the Priesthood we would not be able to enjoy the blessings of the restored Gospel...and for that I am incredibly grateful.
 
Now, of course, the example of my own dad has really influenced these important qualities. Why? Because he really is the best dad. Where would I be without his Priesthood blessings in my life? Including the one given in a dark parking lot on the way to the airport the day I left for the MTC. Thanks dad for everything you do for me! I love you so much!
 
On another note, I am being separated from P-ribble hizzle. Both of us are leaving Douglasville. So sad! We love this area. All the people we've talked and loved and served are so precious to me. Douglasville will forever hold a piece of my heart and that means that they can't get rid of me that easily. I'll be back!
 
On a concluding note... they're sending me to a Spanish branch. Well.... here we go! Next up, learning Spanish!
 
Love you all. Please pray for Douglasville! And if any of you have tips for learning Spanish... I'd appreciate any help! (like maybe send Keegan down here for the summer...?)
 
Sister Hawkins



Note from the Mom: Ahhhhh, my girl. She will learn Spanish if that is what is required of her!  But how about a few extra prayers on her behalf this week?  Not sure what her new address is, I will post as soon as know.



No comments:

Post a Comment