Monday, January 19, 2015

Do Good and Publish Peace



Today my family, I have photos!! I'm praying this works! I realize with this one photo a day challenge that these computers might not want to upload. Also, I realize we end up taking more than one photo a day so here's a ton of photos for you all! At least you'll get to SEE what a week in my shoes looks like. 


caldo de cana

I've discovered that I'm trying a lot more new things as I have to be more creative with these pictures. This week I tried a ton of Brasilian specialties... like coconut water and sugar cane juice made straight from sugar cane. They have these machines on the sidewalks that smash the cane into juice and you can ask for lime to be smashed with it. SO YUMMY. and probably really unhealthy. But they gave me a little extra, or what they call "choro" or "chorinho" since it was my first time. Small Portuguese lesson! Well maybe Brasilian lesson since this is more of a slang term. "Choro" literally translates to "I cry"... which at first I thought was super strange that something awesome would have to do with crying. I learned though, that it's meant to be a happy cry. For example, if you win a million dollors you'd probably cry- not because you're sad but because you're incredibly excited! Hence why it's called Choro. Happy cry! 

agua de coco

Anyways, we snapped a few shots wherever we went. We had a zone training with a ton of missionaries and we also had a fun little activity we planned with the branch. 

 the zone

The picture of the branch is an interesting one. Our little house where we meet for church doesn't have cups or utensils. Normally the members bring these things when they're in charge of the activities but unfortunately, as missionaries, we don't really think about these things. So we were left to use what we had. We used tupperware lids to cut the cake and bowls/pitchers to drink soda. I think I used a cleaned out yogurt cup for my soda. When there's a will there's a way! Especially here in Muriae! (If you pronounce Muriae correctly, that sentence would rhyme. Ready, it's like this, Mu-dee-ahh-ay) 

pic of the branch and our makeshift plates and utensils!

Family! I love Brasil! Not sure I'd live here due to the heat... but I love the fruits and juices they sell on the sidewalks and my favorite is the scenery. Holy cow. You'll see in some of the photos the rolling hills that surround Muriae! It's absolutely beautiful. I've never seen so much space, so many hills in all my life and I just want to run through them singing Sound of Music everyday. I think the Brasilians would think me incredibly strange but deep down those are my true desires. I think I'll have to do it.. at least once!


you know you want to run and sing through those hills with me, right?

All these mountains, well more like baby mountains, remind me of one of my favorite scriptures. Mosiah 15:16-18 (mom insert scripture here please!)
16 And again, how beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of those that are still publishing peace!
17 And again, how beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of those who shall hereafter publish peace, yea, from this time henceforth and forever!
18 And behold, I say unto you, this is not all. For O how beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that is the founder of peace, yea, even the Lord, who has redeemed his people; yea, him who has granted salvation unto his people;
How great is the need for peace publishers in this world. I think of all the missionaries today and the ones to come and it just makes me excited for the work that will go forth! The marvelous work of the Lord that will continue to move through every nation, kindred, tongue and people. The work that will one day lead us to our salvation and eternal glory with our Father in Heaven.

Do good and publish peace!

Have a happy week!

Love,

Sister Hawkins

a little siena fiat!

when it's hot....get soft serve! :)

They made these little pot thingys ( I cant for the life of me remember the name of them in english)
and all the missionaries that pass through Muriae sign them.
Since the branch is pretty new, there arent many missionaries and I was the first sister to sign!
(The Mom: I think the word she's looking for is: Trivet. :))

lunch at a members house.

pillow fight with sister Araujo

the Brasilian version of me....sweaty, red-faced and no make up. ha!



1 comment:

  1. Even sweaty, red-faced and with no make up, she is STILL so beautiful, I dare to say even MORE beautiful. I'm going to suggest the photo-a-day challenge to Hayley. I loved reading every word and seeing every picture of her Brazilian week <3

    ReplyDelete